Los Angeles Rape Attorney
If you have been accused of rape, you most likely understand the gravity of the situation. You may be in danger of facing imprisonment and other harsh criminal penalties, including lifetime registration as a sex offender. With your future on the line, you need a Los Angeles sex crime attorney who has the experience, resources and tenacious approach that is necessary to meet these allegations or charges head on.
About Rape Charges
The potential punishments associated with rape charges will vary depending on the particular offense. Rape may be broadly defined as nonconsensual sexual intercourse, but there are key factors that will influence the severity and nature of charges:
- The age of the victim versus the age of the offender;
- The relationship between the alleged offender and victim;
- Whether the victim was a child, elderly, mentally incapacitated or disabled;
- The manner in which the offense was carried out (by force, threats, violence, coercion, etc);
- Whether a weapon was used;
- Whether the victim sustained serious bodily injury;
- Whether any other offense was committed at the same time, such as kidnapping or burglary; and
- The defendant’s past criminal convictions, if any.
Sex Crime Defense Lawyer in Los Angeles
With over two decades of experience in criminal defense and a practice devoted exclusively to this field, I have a thorough understanding of rape charges. I represent clients facing allegations of sexual assault, forcible rape, statutory rape, date rape, spousal rape and all related charges throughout the Los Angeles area. I have handled numerous cases involving exaggerated or entirely false accusations of “forced” sexual intercourse, made for reasons of revenge, jealousy, anger and even in an attempt to gain child custody in a divorce! These frivolous allegations not only threaten the life of the accused but also place real victims at risk of not being taken seriously.
Find out more about your case and what options you have to challenge allegations of rape. Contact Los Angeles rape lawyer Robert Michael Helfend today.